Wednesday, June 16, 2004

That Stanley!

A while back I ran into Stanley somewhere and walked up behind him and called his name. Stanley. He was smiling when he turned around, and told me he can always tell what part of his life people are from by what they call him...pre-1974 is always "Stanley." After that, they call him Stan.

I remember the first time my mother told me she had heard Stanley speak...she was so impressed with his eloquence. And my mother is not easily impressed. When she told the story, I was puzzled because that couldn't be OUR Stanley! OUR Stanley doesn't talk! Can you believe that someone so quiet and low-key has evolved into one of the best speakers around? The Lord works in mysterious ways. He does a column in (I think) Saturday's paper, and has done a compilation of these into a book. (Stanley, not the Lord.) I'm sure Mars Hill carries it and I'll bet the Christian Bookstore downtown does, too.

My middle child had the chance a couple of years ago to sing in the chorus of "Oklahoma" when Alan Flowers did it at UNA. These are not high school productions; there is an orchestra and the sets are wonderful. Anyway, there was this absolutely gorgeous kid in the production. Movie star good looking, and he could sing and dance like you would not believe...I kept wondering what he was doing in Florence, Alabama, instead of trying to get on Broadway! Turns out, he's Stanley's son! If you ever get the chance to see him don't miss it...he is a wonderfully talented young man.

No comments: