Saturday, March 20, 2004

Funny stories

We've been telling funny stories about things we remember...which is really interesting to me because I'VE FORGOTTEN ALL OF THEM. If Robbie or Melanie don't remember an event, it is gone. When we were looking for Grady Miller, Robbie came up with this great story about a fountain and our prom, which the computer promptly lost. I'm waiting on him to send it again and I'll share it. But Kenny Johnson called last night to give me his email address and I REMEMBERED something! On my own!

Kenny's email is KOJohnson. I was working in the office one afternoon and Mrs. McCabe came out and handed me a slip of paper. Apparently, when we ordered those little name cards that went into our graduation announcements, Kenny had left his blank or they couldn't read his writing or something, and Mrs. McCabe wanted me to go down to the classroom and find out exactly what his whole name was and how to spell it. I go down to where Kenny is supposed to be, but he's not there. (Neither, I think, were Philip and Tony but the office wasn't looking for THEM.) So there I stand. Kenny's parents live two doors down from mine. I KNOW his name is Kenneth O'Neal Johnson. He is named after his Dad. But am I absolutely, positively, completely SURE? Maybe the "n" isn't capitalized. Maybe they changed Kenny's to Neil. Maybe I can't go back to the office and tell them HE'S NOT THERE. So I filled out his card and turned it in, in a panic. If I was wrong, how was he going to explain to his Mama that he couldn't spell his own name? Four weeks before he graduated from high school? Needless to say it worked out fine. His little card was correct, no one knew he might have been SKIPPING SCHOOL and we sailed through.

Again.

No comments: