Monday, April 12, 2004

Veronica...we share the same vice!

Name... Veronica Irene Allen   Place you live... Same property where I grew up but different house, at County Road 27 in St. Florian, with parents.   Married?... Never married, although I was asked a few times over the past 30 years, but revelations saved me.  It's not too late in life, if God wills it to be.   Kids?... No, never seriously considered having any children, although it would have been nice with a good husband. At this point, it will require a miracle to have one.   Grandkids?... No. But I have 3 beautiful nieces (ages 23, 10, and 6) and 2 handsome nephews (ages 12 and 11).   What did you do after high school?... Pursued pre-med curriculum at U. of Alabama at Tuscaloosa from August '74 until Dec. '76. Enjoyed campus life and student government, including being administrative assistant to the first Black SGA president at Alabama. In honor societies and on Dean's List a few times.   After that?... Came home and started working at IFDC while parents built house (we are living in it still). Work at IFDC included general analytical chemistry and wet-process phosphoric acid research on sub- and tropical indigeneous phosphate ores.  Decided to finish at UNA while working at IFDC. Graduated in May '83 in industrial chemistry. Began work at Reynolds Metals, first in reduction plant as analytical chemist, then at Alloys Plant as process lubrication chemist, as casthouse chemical anaylsis lab supervisor, then as plant quality engineer. The management decided to shrink the quality assurance department and I was given freedom from the industrial setting, RIF'd in '96. Then worked as cognitive learning therapist witih emphasis on math processes using manipulatives; also as office manager for home health agency. Began working at UNA in 1998 as administrative secretary in Housing and Residence Life, with a lot of emphasis on publications and management of housing database systems.  Have been accepted to grad school but not pursuinganything definite right now; courses in computer information systems, gerontology, and criminalistics have been interesting.   Strange or interesting things that have happened to you... I have had prophetic dreams since I was 14 years old, usually things that are about to happen in the lives of friends, family and myself. Sometimes it is years before the events occur. The dreams have continued over the years and have been truly revelatory.     Important things... The most importaint thing to me is loving the Lord Jesus Christ and living for Him. For the past ten years I have been actively involved at Christ Chapel, primarily in bookstore ministry, intercessory prayer, choir, and other ministry areas. Also, I have been an abstinence educator and volunteer with Shoals Sav-A-Life for about 10 years, making presentations at churches and schools, including Brooks High. My current job at UNA allows for good interaction with college students and opportunities to mentor them.    Hobbies, interests, vices... Presently I serve as treasurer of Shoals Chapter of IAAP (International Association of Administrative Professionals), which provides opportunities for certification. I continue to serve as trustee/secretary for Bailey Chapel Cemetery since its incorporation 10 years ago. This is my second and final year as chairman of the Student Affairs Professional Development Committee at UNA.   I enjoy reading, occasional sewing and cross stitching, crossword puzzles, sightseeing (just getting in the car and seeing where the road takes me), listening to music (preferably inspirational and praise/worship music), and family gatherings (dogs and goldfish included). I don't do as much adventure cooking as I did when I lived by myself, but I love experimenting with new dishes and new ways to prepare good food. For several years I did amateur photography at weddings for family and friends, but I sold my Nikon right before I sold my house a few years ago. I enjoy sandy beaches and the ocean and would like to take another cruise.   My major vice is my love of fresh-baked home-made bread with pure rich butter. A pastry chef could be my best friend! (Try Plugra when Sam's carries it or drive to Publix...Amy)

No comments: