Friday, April 30, 2004

Oh, people, where has the time gone?

I was talking to Randy Harden and realized...my instructions say "Turn across from Outpost 72." If you haven't been home in a while, or don't get out this way when you do, let me clarify myself:

Go to where Leonard Loveless's USED to be. It is now a trendy BBQ place that sells $37 cakes (the Italian Cream is heaven). People come from 100 miles around to buy the cheesecakes. It's called Outpost 72. The rest of the instructions stand...I don't think the scenery has changed much in 30 years except that where Mitchell's lake lot was? With the steep up and down hills that most cars couldn't climb? There are now three-story half-million dollar houses built into the hillside down there. Go figure.

Louise Loveless died a couple of years ago, and Leonard and Donnie are in nursing homes. Remember how much Donnie loved pumping gas? "You want gas?" and if you weren't from around here you didn't know what he was saying. They had oatmeal cookies in these big round glass jars with metal tops. They tasted like Archways do now but they were better because they were in those jars. I have looked all over the Southeast for one of those jars and if you ever find one, buy it for me.

Last summer I needed a belt for my tiller on a weekend and for some reason drove to Rogersville. They sent me north towards Anderson to this store on the right that, I promise, hasn't changed in 50 years. And while I'm in there, three men came in and ordered lunch...two had bologna and cheese sliced and wrapped in white paper and the other...I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP...ordered a souse meat sandwich. I did not know there was still such a THING as souse meat, much less that you could walk into a business and order a sandwich made of such. Or that you'd want to.

Remembering Leonard's is what made me think of that.

Tony Hendon and I each have 4 year old's, and he's going to help me set up at the branch Thursday and Friday. My cell phone number is 710-1177 and if you need anything Friday, like directions, call me. It also helps if a couple of people pick up ice on their way down there...I always run out.

It is amazing how easy technology has made this reunion...we've heard from people we haven't talked to in years. Can't wait to see you all.

No comments: